After a great deal of uncertainty throughout the spring regarding the Covid-19 crisis, BC Parks gave the green light for provincial parks, beaches and campgrounds across British Columbia to officially open on June 1st, 2020. To say that people were excited is an understatement, and now that the initial booking frenzy has subsided there are plenty of fantastic parks and campgrounds right in our own backyard just waiting to be explored.
Health Officials continue to suggest that outdoor activities are considered a safer alternative to traditional travel, and here at O’Connor RV we’ve been busy helping people purchase new RVs so that they can enjoy the great outdoors this summer! So what will camping in BC look like amid the global pandemic? BC Parks has provided a Covid-19 Rules and Regulations guidebook to help campers become accustomed to our new normal. Here are a few key points to keep in mind as we work together to keep our community members safe during the 2020 camping season:
• BC parks and campgrounds will only be open to BC residents, and it’s highly encouraged to stay as local as possible. Luckily for us, there are amazing places to camp and explore around Chilliwack and the Fraser Valley! BC residents can visit Discover Camping to make campsite reservations, and we recommend checking the BC Parks website regularly for updates on everything from Covid to wildfires. You can also check out our guide to hidden gem campgrounds near Chilliwack for more ideas on where to camp locally this summer.
• Continue to observe social distancing measures while at campgrounds and travelling across the province. Things like keeping your distance from other campers, giving people space when using shared facilities and wearing a facemask when you go into local grocery stores will go a long way in helping keep everyone safe, happy and healthy.
• Cleanliness is key! Continue to practice good hand-washing hygiene, and leave your campsite just as you found it when you arrived - you should be doing your part to minimize anybody having to clean up after you.
With so many folks getting on board with the RV lifestyle, it can be challenging to know which unit is right for you - travel trailers, campers, fifth wheels, toy haulers and motorhomes, oh my! O’Connor RV is proud to carry a massive inventory of units from North America’s most popular brands, and we have an RV for every need and budget. To get you started, we’ve put together a few tips to help guide your decision-making process:
• Check out our handy guide on different types of RVs - we’ve included case studies for each type of unit to help you decide whether a fifth wheel, travel trailer, motorhome, or something else entirely will work best for you.
• O’Connor carries some of the best RV brands in the biz. Our brand guide will help you learn a bit more about what each manufacturer has to offer, and which elements of the various units appeal to you.
• Consider your needs. If you’re travelling with a single companion, then a compact Class B motorhome might work perfectly for you; if you’ve got the entire family in tow, you may want to consider larger units that provide enough personal space for everyone onboard.
• Camping during Covid comes with new challenges, and you’ll want to ensure that you can be self-sufficient if necessary. You may not be able to easily find supply centres, shared bathroom facilities or even firewood. Set yourself up for success by making sure you have access to freshwater, bathroom facilities, waste storage and disposal, renewable energy resources and the ability to prepare a hot meal. You’ll also want to have plenty of provisions and supplies on board, including non-perishable food, tools, emergency supplies, extra water and clothing.
• Accessorize! When you’re out in the wilderness, small extras can turn a regular camping trip into a downright luxurious holiday. We suggest things like comfortable (and portable) outdoor seating, puzzles and games, lanterns and flameless candles for ambiance, cozy bedding and throws (breathable wools and cottons are comfortable and practical), a source for playing music and an awning (if compatible).
We know that there is a lot to consider before you head out for your next BC camping adventure, but that’s why you’ve got the O’Connor RV experts on your side. Our team is here to help answer your questions about camping and Covid in BC this summer, and walk you through every aspect of picking the best RV for your needs and budget. Check out our inventory online, and then feel free to contact one of our team members to schedule a private tour of the units that interest you. We can’t wait to help make your RV dreams a reality!